Ames was one of Michigan’s leading manufacturers of buggies and cutters. Dean Carriage Company built a few cars from stock parts. They were good cars, but the litigation over the Selden Patent caused them to stop production.
The Argo was a small, low price car made in a section of American Gear Company on Hupp Avenue by Briscoe. The price ranged from $250.00 to $500.00 and the autos were produced less than two years.
Ben Briscoe produced this model at a factory on Wildwood Avenue in 1917. A new factory was built on Horton Street but production ended in 1920. Earl Motors took over the factory which is now known as the Hancock Building.
BUICK (Model F) 1904-1907
The Model F Buick was built in Jackson until 1907, when its production was shifted from the Kelsey Hayes building in Jackson to Flint, MI. The President was William C. Durant.
C.V.I. (CUTTING SIX) 1907-1908
Only five C.V.I cars were built in the factory on Horton Street, later used by Frost Gear. They were considered good cars, but management was discouraged by the 1907 depression and these never got into regular production.
CARTER CAR 1904-1913
Byron Carter built several cars in Jackson during the early part of this period. He made some Detroit financing arrangements and produced the cars later in Pontiac. The car featured a disc friction drive transmission. Mr. Carter founded the Jackson Automobile Company.
CUTTING (2) 1911-1914
The Cutting was built by Clark Carter Automobile Company. It was a powerful, good quality car featuring a Milwaukee motor of 30,40,50 and 60 HP. Cutting was entered at the Indianapolis 500 race in 1911-1912, its best performance being in 1911. The auto's price ranged from $1,200.00 to $1,500.00. It was built on N. Mechanic Street. The company failed in 1912 because of lack of capital.
The Duck was built by Jackson Automobile Company. It was never successful because it confused the public with the steering wheel in the backseat. The field of vision was held by peering over the passengers who rode in the front seat.
EARL MOTORS 1920-1923
Earl Motors were produced when Mr. Clarence Earl left Willy’s Overland in Toledo and came to Jackson. He took over defunct Briscoe Auto Company.
The Fuller was made by Fuller Buggy Company in a plant located on E. Michigan Avenue at Belt Line Railroad. They produced high wheelers and also regular wheels with pneumatic tires. The Fuller's price ranged from $800.00 to $1,200.00. Mr. Matthews of Jackson Automobile Company also owned this company.
The Gem was manufactured in both Jackson and Grand Rapids, MI, by the Gem Motor Car Company. It was a light assembled car with a four-cylinder G.B. & S. engine. Only two models were produced; a touring car (selling for $845) and a light delivery van.
The Globe was built in Jackson, Michigan.
The Hackett was made by section of American Gear Company on Hupp Avenue, after the Argo Car Company went defunct. There were very few produced and it was a small car of only 112 inches.
The Hollier was produced by son Fred Lewis, after father Charles Lewis sold his interest in Jackson Auto Company and passed away soon after. Cars were also assembled in Chelsea in the old Glaisier Building.The selling price ranged from $900.00 to $1,400.00.
The Imperial was produced by Imperial Motor Car Company, a local group. First assembled at 120 E. Washington Street and later at the corner of Wisner and Ganson Streets in the Kelsey Hayes Building. It was a very good car and there were only 1,062 built.
The Jackson was produced by Jackson Motor Car Company. They built first autos on Hupp Avenue and later moved production to a factory on E. Michigan Avenue and Horton. The Jackson was a good automobile with dealers throughout U.S. and Canada. The total production was 10,000 cars.
The Jaxon was built by Byron Carter and his Jackson Automobile Company. It was the first car made in Jackson, a powerful steam driven auto that steered with a tiller. The factory was located on E. Michigan Avenue and Horton.
KAISER DARRIN 1954
The Kaiser Darrin was built in former Jackson Cushion Spring Company at Water Street and Bridg (a division of Kaiser Motor Car of Willow Run). They produced only convertibles.
MARION HANDLEY 1915-1918
The Marion Handley was built in the former Ames Dean building on Wildwood Avenue. It was assembled from mostly stock parts and was priced from the small to medium range.
The National was a large, powerful, open type auto built with a significant amount of brass.
The Orlo was built by the Jackson Automobile Company on Park Avenue and Park Place (which is now Hupp Avenue). It is also an extinct auto.
STANDARD ELECTRIC CAR 1911-1916
The Standard Electric Car was built in a factory on Hupp Avenue. It was attractive in appearance and was meduim priced. The car slogan was, “The car that excels — the car that out sells”. Gas competition forced company to abandon operations.
STEEL SWALLOW 1906
The Lockwood Brothers built the Steel Swallow for designer Mr. Deering at their garage on West Cortland Stree. They also built a pick-up service car that was completed in 1906 and used until 1917. Approximately 50 cars were produced in total.
Butcher and Gaug
Butcher and Gaug built two experimental cars at their shop on West Washington Street in 1905-1906.
William Hatch built two experimental cars at his machine shop at 1103 E. Michigan Avenue in 1906.